Sunday, October 3, 2010

Awareness is the Key to Avoiding Cat Health Problems


You feed your cat food that's advertised on television as being healthy and nutritious - after all, it says 'natural' on the label. You take your cat to the vet regularly for check-ups and shots. But despite doing your best, perhaps cat health problems develop. For example, there are more and more cases of allergies and cancer in cats than ever before. How can that be if we love our cats so much are doing the best for them?

It's often the case that we have to learn the hard way. I know I certainly did. I have cats now, but I used to have a dog called Benji and I learned a lot from him and his health issues. He had congestive heart failure and died about 17 years ago. In the course of dealing with his health problems I actually discovered that a lot of what I thought I was doing right, was in fact harmful. I thought I was feeding him high quality food. I took him to see the vet regularly, and made sure he received all his shots and so on. I thought I was doing the right things - but as it happens, I wasn't.

I eventually learned that the food I was giving him, had contributed to his health problems - even though it was one of the most popular commercial brands of food (and not even the cheapest). Although I don't have a dog any more, I use the knowledge that I gained from that experience to help my cats . I study and learn as much as I can to help them stay healthy and to avoid health problems.

To avoid cat health problems and to keep our cats healthy and happy, we need to provide good quality food. Many cat health problems can be avoided if just by providing healthy, natural food, and people are often surprised to hear that this does not include the majority of commercial brand cat foods that are advertised and available in the supermarket. Most of that food is not only unhealthy, it's very harmful.

Cats also need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. Cats are intelligent. They need stimulation and activity. Indoor cats particularly need plenty of activities and exercise so they don't become bored and inactive.

Also, a stress-free environment is very important. If your cat is being chased and harassed by children, attacked by other pets or spending a lot of time hiding out of fear, that constant level of stress can be very harmful.

When you fulfill all of your cats needs, feeding them healthy food and keeping them stimulated and stress-free you'll probably be able to avoid most health problems. It's worth the time and effort and you will save money as well because you won't have expensive vet bills.

Our cats give us love and endless pleasure. The least we can do is take care of them and provide what they need.








Linda Binns is a Personal Growth Consultant and Coach with a passion for animals. Her goal is to help animals all over the world live happier, healthier lives.

Learn interesting tips and techniques to help your cat live a long, healthy and happy life by visiting her blog at http://www.CatHealthProblemsBlog.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment